Monday, December 22, 2008

A Sheep Encounter

I was taking photographs in a small Tibetan village (where Tibetans lived, not that it was in Tibet) when a flock of sheep came around a bend in the road.

When they saw me, they seemed surprised, froze in their tracks and everybody just stared at me. Perhaps they suddenly found someone blocking their way and simply didn’t know what to do. It was amazing, and kind of funny. I found them lovely and wondered if they felt the same. For a split second, it occurred to me that they might charge me. With their long, curly horns, it could have been dangerous. But they did not look threatening at all. Perhaps they were just bewildered.

After a couple of minutes, I realized we were in a state of stalemate, and they were probably not going to make the first move. So I stepped aside. Surely, they then continued their leisurely walk, got passed me, and began to turn around another bend. I was a bit surprised to find that there were no shepherd. So who was guiding them?

Just when the first sheep were beginning to disappear beyond the bend, the black-headed fellow bringing up the rear “Baa ...!” The whole flock just froze immediately. Some of them turned to stared at me again. So that was the leader. But why did it “Baa ...!” at that moment? When they have already strolled passed me? I have no idea.

The whole episode was a little bizarre. But I am happy I got these lovely photographs. I hope you enjoy them as well.

Which one is your favourite?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha
very amusing. i like all the photos in a strip...

-christine

StephenC said...

Yeah. I found myself coming back to look at them again and again.

I also wonder what they think of the encounter. Are they still talking about that guy who blocked their road? Perhaps that was the exciting event in their lives as well?